A Sicilian teenage girl draped in lace and a scarf, December 1909.
Photograph by Baron Wilhelm Von Gloeden, National Geographic
"Sensuality is more subtle. It is something implied. It lives in the eyes, the mouth, the collarbone. It is subtext and metaphor."
malin James on sensuality
Marlene Dietrich in “Morocco” (1930)
French stage actress, turn of the century.
Cute shot of Marilyn Monroe visiting the US armed forces in South Korea
African American flappers and Jazz Age women
HOLY SHIT I HAVE NEVER SEEN BLACK FLAPPERS BEFORE!
viα mysilverscreendream: "Not long ago a friend asked me what was the greatest pleasure I got from spending my whole life as an actor. There have been so many that I had to think about that for a moment. Then I said, "Like everyone else, I like to be with a happy crowd."
Joseph Frank ‘Buster’ Keaton
October 4th, 1895-∞
19th Century Queer Couples
1. 1891 – Photo by Alice Austen
2. 1855 – Martha O’Curry
3. 1890 – via www.ChloeAndOlivia.wordpress.com
4. 1890 – via www.Flickr.com/photos/SShreeves
5. 1899 – via FYeahQueerVintage.tumblr.com
6. 1900 – Anna Moor and Elsie Dale
7. 1900 – Young souple seated in garden, from the Powerhouse Museum Collection, via HerSaturnReturns.com
8. Kitty Ely, Class of 1887 (L) and Helen Emory Class of 1889, Mount Holyoke Students, via VintagePhoto.Livejournal.com
10. Lily Elise and Adrienne Augarde, 1907, via FYeahQueerVintage.tumblr.com
Collected by Marie Lyn Bernard, via retronaut
This is an amazing collection. I think what excites me so much about it, apart from the PDAs which indicate these are clearly romantic relationships and not just friendships, is the women of colour who are included. No 2 is even an inter-racial couple!